When Looking for a Blog to Sponsor

6 comments
There are a few things I need to get out of the way before I dive in to this one little thing that annoys me when I'm wandering around blogs.
One. I have experience in analyzing data (in social media).
Two. Not because people are new to blogging, you should not be making a fool out of them.
When I was looking for blogs to sponsor, I noticed some blogs sum up all their followers. Here's an example.

BLOG STATS:
GFC: 1,321 followers
Bloglovin: 1,098 folowers
Twitter: 1,045 followers
Facebook: 543 likes
Instagram: 987 followers
TOTAL FOLLOWERS:  4,994 ACROSS SOCIAL MEDIA!

When I see this, this is what I feel like doing...
 
The stats looked great until wait, what do you mean you added all your followers?! Here is why you should not do it: Not all of those followers are unique. Meaning there can be multiple people who follow you on GFC, Bloglovin and Twitter so you cannot count them as two, three or more people. Unless you have an analytics program that can track your unique followers across social media, then it's almost impossible to get your total unique followers. Oh and if you find a program like that, please let me know. Thank you.

K? K. 

PS
No pets were harmed in taking that photo above. We were playing "attack mama's hand" when it was taken. 

PPS
As a loyal reader reader pointed out that (see first comment), as a reference, here are some of the blogger that I think are doing the numbers game right! :) One. Two. Three.

6 comments:

  1. Hello. I've been a loyal follower of your blog for a long, LONG time. I continue to come back because your posts are funny and refreshing. However, in particular to this blog post (or rant) -- and with WITH ALL DUE RESPECT -- I feel that in addition to humor, perhaps you should focus on what people should do, and provide step-by-step directions for producing valid and trustworthy media kit with high ROI?

    A lot of bloggers make the mistake you mentioned, because they don't know better. I myself haven't made the above mistakes, but a lot of girls - young, naive ones - have. When they read this post, they would feel bad - almost undignified. I feel that because you are such an influence(r), it's better to give them specific directions, and help them out.

    What I've said are just suggestions, and I understand if you don't take them well. But they are my honest opinion, and again, I'm expressing myself with the utmost respect.

    Thank you for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guilty of that.:) But to my defense, I have two arguments. One is lame and one is... A tad less lame.:D I was asked in an interview (the one and only I had:)) how many followers I had and I had to say something. And besides, I wanted to say a number that was more than 10.:) And the other thing is that I subtracted about 10 % for the reasons you listed - you just can't tell for sure how many people are doubled.

    But can I be honest? I fucking hate this followers game. Who fucking cares!!!! What matter is how many people see your posts. And not just click on the link and close it after 1.3 seconds, but actually read. If there is anything to read, of course...

    And I don't know if I believe you that no animal was harmed, it looks like you really gave it to the poor pooch.:P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post :) problem is this is the side of blogging that I feel I lack in! Please explain more of this stuff. It's so useful!

    Hailes<3
    Hailes Hearts Fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Thank you! I agree with ^^^ you should do some sort of post using your background to maybe explain how to get more followers or use social media effectively.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it would be great like Lauren said if you could do a post explaining how to reach more readers and use social media effectively.

    Tracy @ Sunny Days and Starry Nights

    ReplyDelete