Because I did not want to make a whole cake for Fox's birthday last month, I decided to make little servings that we can give out to the other dogs at the dog park...which did not happen because there were too few dogs and the owners were sitting at the other end of the park from us. LOL Nevertheless, Fox and his cousin Tashi gobbled them up. Tashi even ate Fox's muffin's last bite. Haha!
I started with putting together all the wet ingredients mixing them until they are well incorporated.
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 mashed banana
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup honey (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Prepare muffin pans by lining them.
- Combine the egg, peanut butter, apple sauce, mashed banana, vanilla, and honey, if desired, in a large bowl; blend well. I wanted to add plain non-fat yogurt but we don't have any on hand. It could have made the muffin a lot more moist.
- Stir in the carrots and mix thoroughly. Sift together the flour and baking soda and fold into the carrot mixture. Scoop batter into muffin pans. I used my normal cookie scoop for this.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8 minutes for the mini muffins and 15 minutes for the bigger muffins. Turn out onto a wire rack immediately to cool completely.
Note: Now Fox's muffins did not come out moist like the reviews from the original recipe I got this from because I did not use oil. It just felt wrong to put oil into something that my dog would eat. However, if you're okay with giving your dog oil, you can do that as well.
And as promised, here is Fox's taste test video: